Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Plan B 4.0: Mobilizing to Save Civilization

I think the environmental concern that is most important would be the feeding eight billion people well section. I feel that this issue is most important because some countries do not have enough land to adequately feed their own people.  This concern connects to the course concept of a commitment to community awareness and involvement in order for students to know the issues related to economic, social, and ecological sustainability, analyze and evaluate ecological issues locally and globally. The best way to work toward this sustainable solution either as individuals or as a society would be to raise land productivity, raise water productivity, produce protein more efficiently, localize agriculture, and to reduce demand. The definition of sustainability does address in the solution since in the world food economy achieving an acceptable balance between supply and demand includes reducing demand as well as expanding supply. For example, China has so many people that they are facing growing food insecurities due to the overuse of resources, which will drive them into an ultimate collapse.

            The place where I would want to live would probably be in the suburbs relatively close to the beach and inside a nice community. My home would contribute to sustainability in ways, which it would not consume and waste as many resources as a normal household demands. Some examples are, replacing regular light bulbs with energy saving bulbs, turning off my air conditioning and the lights when I am not at home in addition to utilizing shower heads that are low flow.  I am concretely and realistically going to work towards living in a place like this in the near future because I will keep reminding myself that the environment is here for everyone to use, not just for myself. I think the only barriers that might get in the way of living this lifestyle would be the expense and the inconvenience of switching to a greener household.  However, I plan to overcome these barriers by becoming more selfless and shopping smarter so that I can have the best of both worlds; not spending a lot of money and using products that are more environmentally friendly.

Lester R. Brown, author of Plan B 4.0 Mobilizing to Save Civilization

Cycle of achieving food sustainability

Reasons as to why people go hungry



No comments:

Post a Comment